Fela's Movement Of the People lives today.
Fela Kuti was defamed, jailed, and beaten for his refusal to stand down in the face of corrupt and oppressive regimes. He started his own political party, The Movement Of the People, and wrote a corresponding track - a call to action - called "M.O.P. (Movement Of The People) Political Statement Number 1." If he were alive today, he would be proud to watch the people of Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Cote D'Ivoire, and Sudan, among others, who are fighting for their political and personal freedoms. Like him, they are ready to pay a heavy price for their transformative subordination.
Come join Fela's Movement of the People, M.O.P., and stand in solidarity with the people of the world fighting for their rights.
Stand with the people across Africa and the Middle East and get inspired by Fela's music!
Here are some ways to get involved:
- + Come to an M.O.P party and hear the new Fela Kuti re-releases, which include all recordings made with Fela's Egypt 80 band. Upcoming events are listed here.
- + Create your own M.O.P. party by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll send you posters, buttons, and music to help support the cause.
- + Grab our M.O.P FB profile badge, banners, and the free M.O.P. SoundCloud widget, upload and tag them in Facebook, on other social networks, and on your website.
- + Download the free M.O.P. stencil, and stencil it around your nabe or city.
- + Help us spread the word! Click on the buttons below to share this page on Twitter and Facebook. To get updates, giveaways, and more, follow @felakuti on Twitter and like our official Facebook page.